Employee's Right to Sue

Massachusetts G.L. c. 149 § 150 offers employees the right to initiate a private civil action against an employer for various wage and overtime violations. Private civil actions can be brought for failing to pay the minimum wage or failing to pay overtime, for misclassifying an employee as an independent contractor, for violating the tip pooling statute or for retaliating against an employee who stands up for his legal rights.

An employee can sue to recover the value of unpaid wages, benefits, overtime and other amounts owed to him by the employer. The statute of limitations is generally two years under federal and state law so the longer you wait, the less you will be able to ultimately recover.  Do not wait to speak with a lawyer. Call our office or fill out the form on the right for a free case evaluation. You will not have to pay out of pocket for our services. Most cases are taken on a contingent-fee basis, meaning that we only get paid if we recover money for you.